Last week I was sent ingredients to make healthy fudge brownies using Comvita Manuka Honey. The ‘healthy’ and ‘brownie’ may seem like an oxymoron however the ingredients that I was sent to make them was all good ingredients, such as coconut oil and coconut flour. I have never used either of those for cooking. Neither something I have in the house. In fact, the only ingredients for the recipe that I had in the house were eggs!
Growing up with a Kiwi mother (I am half NZ!) I was brought up on Manuka Honey, not only on my toast but as a health food too. It can heal scars, shake off a cold and give you lots of nutrients that no other honey can do.
Comvita has been producing world-renowned UMF® Mānuka honey since 1974 in New Zealand’s Bay of Plenty. Certified by the UMF® quality mark, Comvita ensures your Mānuka honey is authentic so you can enjoy all the goodness from nature.
You have to buy the genuine Manuka Honey so make sure you always look for the UMF® quality mark.
When I was asked to make this recipe, I jumped at the chance as it was quick, healthy and ummm they were brownies!
I enlisted the help of as assistant to oversea the technical aspect so I could take photos and a video and we were delighted at the results!
The recipe for Healthy Fudge Brownies was simple to follow.
Makes 16 brownies
½ cup or 50g of coconut flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup coconut oil (Or melted butter if preferred)
3 eggs (Best if left at room temperature)
½ cup Comvita® Manuka Honey UMF® 5+
(Use ¾ cup for a sweeter taste)
Tastes great with an added dash of vanilla extract
Add crushed nuts if you wish. (We added almonds)
- Preheat the oven to 150C and grease a baking dish or tray.
- Make sure that the tray does not cause the mixture to spread too thin, approximately 1 inch in depth works well.
- Mix together all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour into the tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once baked, leave to cool for 30 minutes (if you can wait!) before cutting or removing from the pan.
- These brownies last well, kept in the fridge in a container, unless of course you can’t help yourself!
- This recipe produces delicious, dense brownies which taste rich and decadent.
They were ready in 20 minutes!
Despite being advised to wait 30 minutes for them to cool, we flipped them out of theory after 10 minutes to coincide with the kids pudding.
Please take a look at the video I have put together!!
“>Comvita Manuka Honey
This post is a collaboration with Comvita but all opinions are my own!